These are the pros and cons of PCSing to Hawaii.
- The weather is always gorgeous. Seriously, the Hawaiian islands boast probably the best annual weather in the world. Highs are in the 85s and lows are in the 65s during the winter. There's normally a gentle breeze blowing so it's almost always perfect
- The beaches are amazing. Hawaii is home to several of the worlds most beautiful beaches
- The water is glorious and warm year round. Want to learn to surf, snorkel, scuba, sail, swim, paddle board or boogie board then Hawaii is going to be a blast
- You'll receive generous BAH. Hawaii BAH is generally over $3,000 a month for almost all ranks. See this blog post for the current Hawaii BAH
- There are literally an endless amount of things you can do in Hawaii. See this list for 105 things to do in Hawaii
- The PACOM mission. The PACOM mission is both challenging and rewarding as the AOR is enormous
- You'll be able to travel the Pacific and hopefully get to see Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Korea, Singapore and the like
- The Aloha! Aloha is more than hello and goodbye. Aloha is an essence of being: love, peace, compassion, and a mutual understanding of respect. Aloha means living in harmony with the people and land around you with mercy, sympathy, grace, and kindness
- Traffic. Not going to lie, the traffic can be bad, but if you try you can always find a calming palm tree swaying in the breeze. I also add "in Hawaii" to my grumbles and they never seem so bad. For instance: "I was stuck in traffic today for an hour...in Hawaii." See. Magic
- You are a bit isolated from the mainland but you'll most likely get plenty of visitors
- The cost of living is higher than most of the mainland
We love it here and really hope you enjoy your PCS to Hawaii. If you have any question about Hawaii in general please don't hesitate to call me at 808-724-4629. If you have any questions about PCSing to Hawaii please don't hesitate to call me about that either. As a military spouse I'm a veteran of 19 moves! And of course if you are thinking about buying a home in Hawaii, then please call me right away so I can start house hunting for you today.